Singita Kwitonda Lodge sits lightly on a pristine 178-acre stretch of land right on the edge of Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park, where more than a third of the world’s endangered mountain gorillas find refuge. Designed with respect to its remarkable geological location, Singita Kwitonda Lodge was built with sustainability as a fundamental focus. It offers an intimate engagement with the landscape and a sense of solitude within nature.
Each of the lodge’s eight luxurious suites boasts cosy couches, indoor and outdoor fireplaces and heated plunge pools, with breathtaking views of the Sabyinyo, Gahinga and Muhabura volcanoes.
Singita Kwitonda Lodge offers seven 1-bedroom suites (sleeps 2) with indoor bath and shower, indoor and outdoor fireplaces, covered veranda, a sitting/rest area, dressing room, mini bar, heated plunge pool, outdoor shower and indoor and outdoor massage/treatment areas.
It has a 2-bedroom suite (sleeps four) with indoor bath and shower, indoor and outdoor fireplaces, a sitting/rest area, dressing room, mini bar, covered veranda, heated plunge pool, outdoor shower and indoor and outdoor massage/treatment areas.
And, a four-bedroom villa, Kataza House (sleeps 8) with indoor baths and showers, indoor and outdoor fireplaces, a media room, informal living and dining areas, kitchen, covered veranda, heated plunge pool, outdoor shower and indoor and outdoor massage/treatment areas.
The culinary experience at Singita’s lodges and camps is an integral part of any visit to these incredible wilderness areas. Each and every plate is an expression of the company’s commitment not only to creating an outstanding food offering that perfectly complements the exquisite surroundings in which guests find themselves, but to the importance of practising environmental sustainability at every level, including in the kitchens.
A spectacular on-site garden offers farm-to-table fresh produce for Singita Kwitonda Lodge’s guests to enjoy. Visitors are welcome to stroll through the garden and enjoy its sensory delights. The garden plays a key part in contributing to the sustainable operations of the lodge and guests can interact with Kwitonda staff who will educate them about the seasonal foods, allow them to select a few items and learn about the workings of the garden.
Activities & Resort Facilities
Apart from gorilla-trekking, the Afro montane forests of Nyungwe National Park, primordial Lake Kivu and sophisticated capital Kigali all add to the considerable appeal of this enchanting country.
Using Singita Kwitonda Lodge as a springboard, guests are privy to a whole host of unforgettable encounters.
- An interactive Conservation Room managed by Singita’s specialist conservationists. Highlights include: pre- and post gorilla-trekking briefings, a conservation wall, two iMacs, a big-screen television, maps and books.
- State-of-the-art photo-editing facilities.
- A tour of the on-site Akarabo Nursery, featuring the lodge’s farm-to-table journey. It highlights Singita’s sustainable approach, which benefits the community and celebrates seasonal produce.
- World-class wine tastings.
- Various exercise options, including cycling and yoga.
- In-room massage treatments.
- Cookery classes by expert chefs.
- Kids’ activities, including golden monkey treks, nursery tours, cooking classes, arts & crafts, games, movies, birding and an explorer programme.
- Gorilla-trekking in Volcanoes National Park.
- Golden monkey treks.
- Local market tours.
- A community tour offering a comprehensive cultural experience at the nearby village of Gasura.
- Day tours exploring Kigali, including visits to the Genocide Memorial.
- A memorial guided hike to the primatologist Dian Fossey’s gravesite.
- The Musanze caves, comprising 2km of 32 underground caves.
- Cycling tours, on arrangement.
- Chef’s tours to the local village.
A stay at Singita Kwitonda Lodge is sure to awaken a sense of self-discovery and reflection as guests immerse themselves in one of the most remarkable natural places in the world.
Opportunities to retreat, relax and reflect are plentiful at Kwitonda as the lodge breathes a sense of peace, quiet and tranquility into its visitors. Warm fires, restful spaces, healthy food, yoga, meditation, massages, soft lighting and warm baths serve to nurture, comfort and rejuvenate guests as they connect with nature in a way they never have before.
The Singita wellness philosophy creates an environment for our urban-weary guests to reconnect to nature, revive their senses, restore their body and mind, and explore our African culture.
All treatments are offered in the comfort of guests’ suites or in the tranquility of their private outdoor deck.
Children of all ages are welcome and tailor-made activities are available to keep them occupied.
- Luxurious en suite accommodation, breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, all drinks (including premium wines, spirits and liqueurs, but excluding French Champagne).
- Laundry services.
- Telephone calls.
- Tourism Development Levy.
- French Champagne.
- Spa treatments.
- Certain special meal requests.
- Transport to and from Singita Kwitonda Lodge.
- Any day trips or transfers to and from Singita Kwitonda Lodge.
- Permits for gorilla trekking.
- There is a minimum stay requirement of two nights year-round.
- The minimum age requirement for gorilla-trekking is 15.
- Permits cost $1500 per person per trek, subject to change without prior notice. Permits are subject to availability at the time of booking.
- If Singita is securing a permit on your behalf, proof of payment for the permit needs to be received within 24 hours, and the guest’s passport details no later than 60 days prior to travel.
Recommended Price Range
Contact Remarkable Honeymoons for current rates and specials!